Notes From The Underground

Hollywood Undead's climb from the underground has been one that I have watched with baited breath. I have never wanted any one group to succeed as much as I've wanted to see this band rise to true fame. They've captivated me with their beats and intricate lyrics, as well as entertained with their obviously stereotypical songs. A lot of people may like some songs but not the rest, but I've loved them all. This is the only band in existence that I can say that I have truly enjoyed everything they've ever made. From the stereotypical "I Must Be Emo," to the partying song, "Everywhere I Go." From the suicidal tendencies, "Bullet," to the obsessing over ex girlfriends, "Another Way Out." They get drunk, get high, party, and fuck. That's their M.O. They're crazy shit talkers who have no censors. They say what they want and can take the repercussions. 


Doing circles around this album, I cannot get enough of it, and neither can their fans. With that in mind I sought out their fans and asked them for the top 3 songs. It was no surprise what they were. 

1. "We Are" 
     Which has quickly become the anthem for the album, hence why the song made it to be the first video off the album. Even HU knew the potential. Ironically, I don't care too much for this one--I was clearly out-voted.
2. "From The Ground"
     Blending heavy and melodic into one beautiful song, it really captures the heart of this band. At first I disagreed with the fans on this one being number 2. My vote had been for, "Up In Smoke." After I was out-voted, I went back and re-listened to the track; finding this to be my number two favorite also. It's catchy and beautiful. Though I still adore "Up In Smoke." They were right to choose "From The Ground" as it is superior to the other.

3. "Lion" 
     Every single HU fan can relate to this song, and if they can't, I question their fan-hood. One of the reasons people relate to the partying and smashing songs is because people who love to party have a lot in common with the members themselves. Everything in life has an up and a down. When you're down, you have to have songs like this to help remind you that someone out there feels like you; it helps pull you out of the dark.

That concludes the top 3. However, I have to say the that song that I believe was number one on this album is "Another Way Out." I held true to the fans and let the votes keep the score, but inside I know that this song is amazing. It may just because it is my personal theme from this amazing album, but I believe there is more to it than that. From the first time I heard the "whoa, whoa, whoa" in the beginning of the song I was hooked. This song is so catchy and fluent. It leaves me wanting more and more after each listen. And I want more than anything for there to be a music video to match this song and its awesomeness. 

Now to give you a glimpse of glory. Below is the music video for "We Are." Keep in mind that this beautiful work of art was directed by none other than Shawn Crahan, #6 of Slipknot.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment