A Handful of Words

Happy Halloween friends! I was put into the mood a bit ago to write a few drabbles. They were sufficiently creepy though, at least I have been led to believe so, for Halloween. I stepped a bit out of my comfort zone by writing in second person for two of them.


Our last Christmas
The world is silent except for the cries of sanity lost. It is rare to find someone coherent enough to share words with. You, friend, are the first in far too long. When did your dreams die? For me – it was our last Christmas. I saw It rise from the deep. I once would have given my life for It. Now I hide from Its worshipers like a guilty child. It was my fault; I read the words that brought It forth. I cannot blame you, I thank you. Death would be kinder then what It has waiting for me.

Fear
Short of breath, pounding heart, ears ringing, these are all symptoms of a greater problem. If you’re lucky it’ll be over quick. If not… only it knows what will happen. Your legs give out on you as you try not to look at it. Your mind reels as you catch a glimpse of it. Finally your back is pressed tightly against a wall. There’s no place left to go. Would closing your eyes help? Would pretending it didn’t exist help? Of course not, nothing will. You pretend you are elsewhere hoping for a last moment of respite, no such luck.

A simple knock
There’s a knock upon your door. On the other side you stand. Same clothes, same smile. You’re not smiling though. 

“What do you want?”

A laugh. 

“Nothing’s funny.”

Only to you, I am laughing and we’re the same, you and I. We should talk. 

“You’re talking, what’s this about? Who are you?”

You let me go and I’ve come back.
 
You shake your head confused. The other you laughs, reaches out and touches you. Now you remember your dark side. You remember why you let it go. Before you can push it away you’re consumed by darkness all over again.



If you are wondering what put me in such an unusual mood, to write drabbles check out this lovely site. It has won several, well deserved, awards and is quite strange, if you will permit the term.

No comments:

Post a Comment